Who Am I?

My photo
Daniel Lewis. Ordinary name, not such an ordinary bloke. I'm from Llanelli, and I've lived in Bath, Cardiff and have now settled in Devon and soon to be Somerset. I graduated with an honours degree in Accounting and Finance from Aberystwyth University. I played 3 years for Tarannau Aberystwyth American Football Team and now play for Somerset Wyverns (#57 and now #27). I am the defensive coordinator for Exeter Demons. I enjoy my life to the best of my ability, through family, friends and sport. I'm one of those cases of don't judge a book by its cover. I love to hit and do all the macho things you can dream of, but I'm also a domesticated professional, who loves to cook and read books. I'm a bit of a strange one, from my sense of humour to the title of this blog, as one of the rare few linebackers that can count.

Wednesday 17 July 2019

COWTCHA!

So I should probably explain the title before I crack on writing this post. It's a memory of when I first remembered culture being funny but important. We were wandering around lost, having become victim to Amsterdam North (If you've been, you'll know what this is) and were discussing the idea of having a Wolfpack magazine every week with different articles written by all the boys. Shaft was toying with the idea of "The World According To Shaft" which on some weeks would be deep & interesting and on other weeks would be two blank pages because he was too lazy to write anything. We were seeing all this beautiful Dutch architecture and started to realise we were getting an unexpected and unplanned experience of culture, on a lads trip Gentleman's Sojourn to Amsterdam. So we decided it would be a key feature but with a twist of a cockney wideboy writing it every week, thus coined the term of "Cowtcha". So there, a completely nonsensical and pointless explanation of why when I say "culture" I always think of that trip and how it impacted me. I took 16 blokes on a stag do to Amsterdam and we had the most amazing time. Everyone bought in despite the varied range of backgrounds and ages. We got smashed, drank a beer bike dry, sang rugby songs washing glasses behind a bar, did a lot of philosophical talking and every single person got on with each other and enjoyed.

Why is this relevant you ask?

Well recently I've been doing a lot of reflecting on culture. How to build it within a team, how to know you've got it right and whether or not you can create it effectively. What made me think about this a lot, was the end of the 2019 Wyvern's season. Our second in the league and third including associate. I looked back at the last 3 end of season photos and couldn't help but notice the volume of turnover of players. However, this season has undoubtedly been the best season in Wyvern history and the club feels more like a family now than it ever has. When you factor in we have transferred players in from 5 other clubs as well as bringing in some guys from 3 universities, it is a bold claim to make.

Ever since I started at the Wyverns, it was always clear, we were a family club where everyone was welcome. A club that wanted to be a positive influence on the community it was in. Pay your subs, turn up to training, don't be a dick and it will all be fine. Of course, we have had our fair share of dickheads, but overall the ethos remains the same. We have attracted like minded players, avoided local mercenaries and evolved as a team. Our culture has deepened and improved this year. We have been a positive influence on new teammates, even when they initially had some behaviours that didn't align. The love in that team is unbridled. The love in the defensive locker room is so strong, offensive players want to shower with us post game! My best friend Steve is one of those transfers in and he was initially only going to play one year, to have one last season playing linebacker alongside his butty fach, yours truly. He travels from Cardiff every week for games and training but due to how great this team is, he has committed to coming back next year and for many years to come. There were no cliques, everyone was welcoming and I know he has made friends for life. We had one Uni player join (the first Demon to become a Wyvern) and he enjoyed it so much that two other players transferred in from their home clubs and stayed in Exeter to play football with us all summer. We had people watch our games and get the bug, wanting to resurrect playing careers or coach in a new environment. Each and every person who joined added value and became a true Wyvern. Once a Wyvern, always a Wyvern.

2019 Defense - Hit Squad - Secondary To None - Bellybackers - Grown Ass Men
Now that I've finished waxing lyrical about Wyverns, I will go back to my point. Culture within a team is extremely important. I have learnt a lot about it this season, both at Demons and at Wyverns. I hope to weave the cultures together over time, bringing the best bits from one to the other. I listened to a lecture from Georgia Tech DC Andrew Thacker ( @_CoachThacker ) on culture over the weekend. He explained it simply, no matter what the definition is, culture is only as important as the people within it. You can tell people anything you like but unless every person is on board, living and breathing it, then it won't work. It's not about fancy gimmicks. It's about knowing who you want to be and sticking to your values. I learnt about creating a message and sticking to it, team building and how important it is, kick ass promotional graphics and how your team (or defense) can create an identity. It capped off a great weekend at the coaching convention and really got me thinking.

You can create culture effectively if you work at it and always stick to your values. How do I know we have got it right? The team got closer & stronger and new players all fell in line whilst loving every minute. We went 4-4, avenged a big loss against a previously Division 1 opponent, welcomed new players to the team and became a stronger, more loving family. It was great. Everyone is welcome, you will love being a part of it. Long may it continue. Long live Cowtcha.


Somerset Wyverns 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment